Karen is a registered Psychologist in Hong Kong and Australia with over 17 years practicing across corporate and medical settings in Australia and Hong Kong. She completed a Masters in Organisational Psychology from Monash University and undertook an internship in Psychology at the Cairnmillar Institute in Camberwell Melbourne where she was trained as a Counsellor and Therapist. She is also an accredited Coach with the International Coach Federation (ACC).
Karen started her career working across professional services environment consulting with a variety of clients, teams and individuals across commercial, not for profit, healthcare and government sectors. She has been accountable for client relationship management, business development and been involved in the project management and detailed delivery of a wide variety of competency driven human resource, organisational development and talent management programs across SMES, National and Multinational organisations. Since 2008, Karen also worked as a Counsellor and Coach across several Medical Centres, for a Global Employee Assistance Programme and within Private Practice.
For the past 7 years, Karen has been living in Hong Kong with her young family. She balances her time working as Organisational Consultant, Therapist and Coach – her sweet spots being leadership development, emotional intelligence, stress management, wellbeing, performance, career development and transitions.
Karen’s expertise at the nexus of organisational consulting, recruitment, counselling and coaching provides a strong profile to effectively partner with clients who have recently experienced job loss, want to make a transition or proactively change career direction.
Her career change and transition services can include three elements:
- Therapeutic counselling to build emotional and mental resilience;
- Assessment for self-discovery and coaching to delineate a new career direction and plan;
- Pragmatic skills-based coaching : define a personal ‘success profile’, create a value proposition, competency based resumes and interviewing skills.
Karen is passionate about learning and development. For the past five years she has partnered with several international training groups to host Coach and Practitioner continuous education events in Hong Kong.
Karen’s core areas of technical expertise includes:
- Leadership & management development
- Executive coaching
- Consultation into competency framework design,
- Design of recruitment and selection methodologies
- Design, facilitation and delivery of assessment and development centres
- Psychometric appraisal and expert opinion
- Delivery of 360 feedback processes
- Occupational / workplace stress management
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Competency based interviewing
- Emotional intelligence
- Career change and transition
Coaching with Karen
Karen brings a natural ability to establish rapport and trust with a diversity of people. Her approach to working with clients is contextual, bespoke and person centric. She has worked with adults from various cultures, demographical and socioeconomic groups including: small business owners, graduates, long term unemployed, front line management, emerging leaders, new and experienced pilots, VP and C Level Executives.
As a Scientist-Practitioner, Karen remains agile and draws upon multiple models and research bodies including Cognitive-Behavioural, Developmental Psychology, Applied Neuroscience, ACT and Narrative Approaches.
Karen partners with clients to define their version of ‘success’, examines reality taking into consideration environmental / contextual factors and develops a coaching or treatment plan that plays on natural strengths and challenges the comfort zone.
Karen favours evidence-based practices and believes that change begins with insight and self-awareness. To build a picture of the current state and work with clients to develop tailored coaching plans, she integrates information from multiple sources including deep dive, psychometric assessments, behavioural data, lifestyle factors and performance indicators
Karen is skilled at having goal focused and reflective conversations that help clients pay more attention to how their behaviours, thoughts, emotional responses either work towards or act as barriers to success. This enables clients to quickly pick out what needs to change and take proactive action to achieve goals.
Areas of Interest
- Leadership – Bringing awareness to potential leadership derailers/blindspots
- Horizontal development – adding more knowledge, skills, and competencies (e.g. delegation, communication, assertiveness, performance conversations)
- Emotional Intelligence
- Recognising emotions – Capacity to accurately identify emotion in self, others and general environment
- Using emotions – Knowledge of and capacity to generate moods or emotions that enhance thinking and decision making
- Understanding emotions – Ability to appreciate emotional complexity and understand the causes and consequences of emotions
- Managing emotions – Creating shifts in own and others emotions in order to facilitate positive outomces
- Career Change and Transition
- Performance Enhancement/Anxiety
- Stress management
- Employee Wellbeing
- Saville and Holesworth (SHL) – OPQ32
- Talent Q Suite – Elements and Dimensions
- Sales Preference Quistionnaire (SPQ*Gold)
- Genesys System
- Lumina SPARK
Qualifications and Certificates
- Registered Psychologist – National Australian Health Board (APHRA)
- Masters in Organisational Psychology – Monash University
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) – Deakin University
- Bachelor of Science – Monash University
- Certificate in Marriage and Relationship Counselling – Cairnmillar Institute Melbourne
- Introductory, Intermediate and Advanced Counselling – Cairnmillar Institute Melbourne
- Introductory and Advanced Certificates in CBT – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Australia (CBT Australia)
- Introductory Certificate in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – ACT Mindfully
- Intensive Workshop in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy – Dr. Steven Hayes
- Affective Regulation Therapy – currently completing ART brief therapy and StressAce licensing modules.
- Advanced Certificate in Professional Coaching – Transcend International Academy Hong Kong. Certificate of Attendance (in the process of finalising assessments for completion and Certificate).
- TA101 – Australian Centre of Integrative Studies.
- Practice Certificate in Sleep Psychology – Australian Psychological Society (APS) – currently completing
Memberships and Professional Associations
- Member of the Australia Psychological Society – MAPS
- Associate Fellow Hong Kong Psychological Society – HKPS
- Member of the International Coach Federation – ICF, ACC
- Professional Member Hong Kong International Coaching Community (HKICC)
- Association For Contextual Behavioral Science (ACBS)