Are you feeling overwhelmed or like you can’t cope with life’s challenges? stuck in a cycle of consistent ‘worries’? Keep missing opportunities? Allowing your emotions to rule your decisions? Acting out at home or work? Placing strain on relationships due to doing or saying things you later regret? or just wish to improve your overall wellbeing?
Karen offers professional, person centric and solution focussed counselling services for adults. The goal of attending counselling sessions is not to make presenting issues and problems disappear but to assist clients to become more self aware, think through different options, improve coping skills and boost feelings of wellbeing.
Karen works with adults from diverse cultures, sexual orientation and stages of life. She has worked across medical centres, EAP and private practice in Melbourne and Hong Kong. She has worked with business leaders, corporates, small to medium business owners, entrepreneurs, long term unemployed, pilots at various stages of their career and people who are in ‘transition’.
Sessions provide opportunity for clients to:
1) Openly talk about about events, thoughts or feelings that are contributing to increased and ongoing feelings of stress.
2) Gain clarity, see different perspectives and possibly buy into ways of thinking which are workable and constructive.
3) Learn tactics and tips to facilitate helpful coping strategies
4) Bring awareness to emotions, feelings, thoughts and behaviours that are not workable or helpful with the view to facilitate positive change
As a registered Psychologist in Australia and Hong Kong, Karen’s counselling sessions are confidential. She abides with the code of ethics established by the Australian Psychological Society (APS) and Hong Kong Psychological Society (HKPS).
Karen works with clients who present with some of the following issues:
- Feeling worried, overwhelmed or anxious
- Feeling exhausted, tired and less capable to keep up with daily tasks
- Challenging relationships/ interpersonal conflict
- Difficulties saying ‘no’ and a desire to speak up or be more assertive
- Managing a healthy work/life balance
- Reduced motivation and/or job satisfaction
- Performance anxiety
- Fear of failure
- Anger/mood management
- Improving ability to manage emotions
- Low level of confidence/esteem
- Missing opportunities
- Transition and adjustment matters
- Feeling ‘stuck’ in a situation, relationship or job
- Job loss, career guidance or career change
How do counselling sessions work?
Karen’s counselling session are client centric and tailored according to an individual’s presenting concerns, needs and goals.
Her treatment plans can draw upon various evidence based research and therapeutic models including Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Positive Psychology, Schematic Therapy and Narrative Psychology.
She works with clients to facilitate self-awareness, develop more constructive and workable thinking patterns and provide them with some tactics or tools to assist them to better manage emotions, build psychological presence, enhance coping skills and boost feelings of wellbeing.
Interventions can include: psych education, emotional episode journals, reflection exercises, values clarification exercises, values based goal setting, tactics to diffuse from worries or unhelpful patterns of thinking, behavioural exposure exercises, assertiveness skills training, time management, creating daily structures, conflict resolution, review of lifestyle habits, building emotional awareness, emotional management/regulation tactics etc
How do I get started?
To book an initial counselling session please contact Karen on 94747581 or email email@example.com
Karen will be in touch for a confidential discussion to further understand your goals and needs before setting a time to meet in person.
Karen meets with clients at rooms in central and is currently searching for a space in Discovery Bay.
She is willing to meet with clients at their workplaces.